Me and Aretha at the House of Blues

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Groundhog Day

I noticed this critter behind my house one day when I was going to fill my water jug to water the plants I have on my back porch. I walked through my backyard and stopped short just around the corner. I did not recognize the little guy and he seemed to have the same reaction. He stood up on his hind legs and we stared at each other for a few seconds. At the time I was not sure what kind of critter he was, and he obviously did not recognize my species from the many other creatures in the woods behind my house. This staring contest lasted only a few seconds before he scampered away under the fence. This was the first time I saw him and I thought it would be a one time event. It turns out that this critter, which I now know is a groundhog, has made my backyard a playground.
I see him all the time now. He seems to like the area beside my house and will duck his head out from under the fence to make sure the coast is clear before he comes out. I was able to snap one picture of him from my spare bedroom before he ducked back under the fence. Not a great picture, but I doubt he and I will be driving down the road like Bill Murray and Punxatawney Phil anytime soon, so this will have to do. Can you even imagine? Me and Phil's Oklahoma cousin cruising down the open road.
Speaking of, the movie Groundhog Day is one of my favorites, which makes it even weirder to me that I did not know what kind of animal this was the first time I saw it. To tell you the truth, I think this is the only time I have ever seen one in person. Every other time has been that movie or when the real Phil comes out to forecast the coming of Spring. I knew it was far too big to be a prairie dog. The lack of tail and the continent we live on helped me to rule out nutria as well. I really did think it might be a nutria. What was I thinking? I was talking about it at work one day and someone said "it might be a groundhog." Novel idea, huh? I googled some groundhog pictures and quickly realized that was what I was dealing with.

If I get some more pictures I will post them. I guess I should come up a fancy name for him too. Tahlequah Tom? Tahlequah Teddy? Cherokee Charlie? Time will tell.

1 comment:

  1. Wow that is crazy! I never have seen a groundhog in real life before...
    Pretty cool to be livin' in OK huh!?

    ReplyDelete